Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Headaches and Cankles, a love story

About an hour after waking up, I noticed my legs/ankles/feet were even bigger than usual. They were more appropriately sized for falling asleep upright in a chair, not horizontally in bed.


So I assumed the position on the recliner portion of the couch, and propped them as high as I could.

Yesterday I had to get another blood draw, so while I was there I asked our favorite nurse if she'd check my blood pressure. It was good. So yay!
Then when we got home, Derrick went inside and I went straight down to the hospital to get my weekly fluid level check and bi-weekly non-stress test. My blood pressure was 123/69 while I was there. So they were pleased.

Around 6:00 tonight, I got a call from the nurse, saying my test results had come back and that I do indeed have elevated protein levels. I told her about being super puffy when I woke up, so she asked if I knew my blood pressure today. I said no, but I was going to stop by the grocery store and do the little machine in the pharmacy there. The nurse said that was a good idea, and told me to be aware of and on the look out for other warning signs, such as headache, liver pain, and visual disturbances.

When I got to the pharmacy my numbers were insane (187 over 96). I tried to do some deep breaths for a few minutes before trying again, and it had come down quite a bit. I tested about four times. They were elevated, but not scary high. I decided to do the shopping I needed to get done, and check again before leaving.

After checking out, my blood pressure had come down even more, to 120 over 81. I'd been keeping in touch with Derrick, and he was worried about my numbers, but I told him I felt okay with putting my feet up for the night and seeing my doctor at our appointment tomorrow afternoon. He agreed to it, but is still worried.

I have been laying on the couch again, with my feet propped. It's 3:15 a.m., and my sweet husband went to bed around midnight. I had the beginning of a headache around then, and he adamantly made me promise to let him know if it gets worse. It hasn't gotten worse, it just hasn't gone away. It's just one of those mild-ache-through-the-back-of-the-head tension sort of headaches, like I've been getting off and on all month with my cold.

I had started packing my hospital bag yesterday, but finished throwing things in it when I got home this evening. Not much in there, just nightgowns and toiletries, basically. Derrick filled a backpack with a few things and snacks. SeƱor's bag is packed with a couple of outfits and the gift I got Derrick.
I've been super excited to give it to him, I bought it MONTHS ago. You know, when I actually had a few dollars. Plus I got it for 25% off and free shipping, so I had to.
Derrick hardly emotes, and really doesn't have any sort of reaction to things I am excitedly waiting for a reaction to. I'm trying to get used to this; keeping expectations real is helpful, right? Don't set myself up to be disappointed, haha.
It's just a shirt, so he can't be too non-reactive. He won't be bothered by it, at least. Haha. It's of his NFL team. Hopefully he'll appreciate it vocally enough that my excitement will be satiated, haha.


Anyway. Going in to see the doctor tomorrow, Wednesday afternoon. If all goes according to plan, going in to the hospital for induction early Friday morning. Then hopefully our son will be here by Sunday morning. *fingers crossed* No traumatic induction! That's the goal! Smooth and relatively quick, please!


I am 100% freaked out. I've had several small emotional breakdowns the past two days.


People saying, "You'll be fine!" doesn't help. I know. I don't plan to be anything but fine. I've even planned for what should happen if I die in childbirth. (Although my brother Clarke said today, "You probably won't die." haha)

I really don't need people trying to talk me down and tell me it'll be okay. I just need space to freak out. It's a huge thing! Worthy of freaking out! Validate my emotions!

No comments: