Thursday, January 11, 2007

WITH GREAT CAJOLERY

Sarah:
So guess what
Susie:
you got a package from a mysterious stranger, with a note instructing you to not open in until next Christmas ?
Sarah:
No, but if I had, it would have driven me absolutely crazy until I opened it with such anticipation that I practically shredded it to bits with my bare hands.
Susie:
Thought so.
Sarah:
No, silly. My very first article is on the FRONT PAGE of the Daily Universe!
Sarah:
Wahoo!
Susie:
Rock on!
Sarah:
Now I am writing an article about Apple's iPhone. Have you seen this shiz? It's freaking amazing!
Sarah:
*I was being gangster just then
Susie:
It is a beautiful contraption
Susie:
Don't forget to mention how they do not actually hold the copyright to the name "iPhone"
Sarah:
I'm officially in love with it
Sarah:
Yeah, I heard they were being sued over that
Susie:
Though they should, really...as they were the ones who started the "i..." names with their iMac, referring to "internet Macintosh"
Sarah:
Yeah, I don't really know how that all works. McDonald's has tried to claim that they own the patent to "Mc" and they lost the case in a supreme court ruling
Susie:
Yeah, really a "McJob" is a harsh blow to the company, reputation-wise...not that anyone thought McDonalds was a great place to have your career, but to define a blah low-paying job as a McJob is just...wow...ouch.
Sarah:
ha ha ha
Susie:
I know it is completely not able to be held up legally; but if a company is famous for its prefix I think other companys shouldn't take it. I mean, come on...lets all play nice in the McSandbox.
Sarah:
ha ha ha
Sarah:
I think it's a tough call. On the one hand, Mc is in a lot of ways related to McDonald's so they should be able to hold the rights to it, but on the other hand the prefix "Mc" has become some interwoven in colloquial language today that it doesn't seem fair that they get to control an entire prefix that is now just a natural part of the language.
Susie:
True, sometimes I think it’s out of control when it comes to McDonalds. Especially as it was named after a surname to begin with. However, in the case of Apple and the "i...", I'm biased of course, but I stand in Apple's corner.
Sarah:
Right, "i" is much less likely to become a part of language the way "Mc" has. I guess we'll have to see what the court says. I think it goes without saying, however, that Apple should've had a little more foresight on the matter. If I were them, I would copyright every single word in the dictionary with the letter 'i' in front of it. iWaffleIron, iMattressPad, iArtificialHeart, etc.
Susie:
Oh, agreed. I was so looking forward to my purchase of the iBreastPump when the time came.
Sarah:
HA HA HA HA HA
Sarah:
You know it will be stylish, and of course it will have a lovely apple logo somewhere on it. But I'll leave that up to your imagination.
Susie:
I'm really interested in whether they go with the food-based colors (strawberry, tangerine, lime) as they did with the 2nd generation iMacs, or with the sleeker solid white (or even the sleek solid black, as they now offer with the new Powerbook)
Susie:
Steve Jobs is brilliant, I say! He will know whats best. I think he'll probably choose the food-based colors.
Sarah:
Well, food-based would look much more stylish, and if you're going to look like a feed animal with one of those on, you might as well do it in style.
Susie:
I'm just stuck in that life long debate of: Tangerine? or Strawberry?
Sarah:
I think the choice goes hand in hand with skin coloring; naturally, for me, tangerine would be a disastrous choice, whereas strawberry would go well with my peaches and cream skin tone.
Susie:
I guess it would all come down to whether or not I find a penchant for tanning lotion
Sarah:
True.
Susie:
But congratulations on the front page story, Miss Journalist!
Sarah:
Thank you!
Sarah:
I looked all the way through the newspaper and I was really sad because I thought they cut my story, so I decided to look through it one more time (I never paid attention to the front page) and when I saw it there I was like: WHAT?! Front page!
Sarah:
EEEE!!!
Susie:
That is truly awesome.
Susie:
Do you know what else is awesome? The word "cajolery", I challenge you to use it five times today.
Sarah:
ha ha I accept
Susie:
one idea: "with great cajolery"—that’s a good end for a sentence.
Sarah:
ha ha am I supposed to be using this in dialogue? Because that's going to be tough
Susie:
I have faith that you can ease it into conversation seamlessly.
Sarah:
Well, naturally.

No comments: