Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A wallet and a tear

My top lip swells when I cry.
 
I was sitting in class when we got to a point where I could leave the discussion. I asked my instructor if I could go to the main office to discuss applying for the state board written test, she said I could, so I left.
I peaked my head into the registrar, Trudy's office. She said, "Hey, girl, I have your wallet!" My what? Huh? How did you get my wallet? Then I realized that while I was sitting in the hall near the salon door I had been fishing in my purse for a pen, and had taken out my wallet so I could see into my purse better. I had set the wallet next to me on the floor.
 
When  I stood up I forgot the wallet was there. It was about 45 minutes before I went to Trudy's office.
 
I thanked Trudy and she reminded me how lucky I am that someone turned it in. I agreed. She said they found it in the bathroom...
 
In the bathroom? Uh oh.
I hurridly opened my wallet and peaked inside.
 
All of my cash was gone. Almost $80. Gone.
 
Tears immediately began to fall as I started to shake. All of my money was gone. I had used up everything in my checking account only an hour earlier, paying my utility bills. This money was supposed to pay for the rest of those bills as well as to get me by until I got my check on Friday (which would all go to car insurance.)
 
*exasperated sigh*
 
I couldn't stop the tears as I walked back to class. I am not a cute cryer. I am a splotchy, pink, sniffly, lip-swelling cryer.
 
My instructor asked if I was ok and I shook my head as I tried to make my way back to my table. She stopped me and asked what had happened. Through my sobs I told her everything. No money.
 
A woman in my class immediately swept me into a hug and pushed a $10 bill into the palm of my hand. Another woman excused herself to run across the street to an ATM, and came back with several $20 bills. No questions.
 
Right when I lose faith in the humanity of people others show me how amazing people can be.

3 comments:

Sariah said...

Wow! What kind women!

I'm so sorry that your money was stolen, but glad your wallet was recovered. And especially glad for the kindness that your classmates showed you.

Your story made me tear up.

TDawgYo said...

Awwwww. I'm so glad someone was able to help you.

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful for the Lord's mercy shown through your class members. I am praying for their blessing. It is a hard time right now; a hard time for everyone. I wish I could bring you home and take care of you.