Friday, May 19, 2006

Mein Vati

My father makes me laugh. He makes me laugh a lot.

My dad is a goofy man, and I love that. He apologizes often for not being a "more dignified father", but that's crap. My mother is very dignified and proper, if she ever did something like say "there is your boyfriend" and point to a dirty old man walking down the street (like my sisters and occasionally my father do) I think I may fall over laughing, as it is just not like her to be silly. So if both of them were very dignified I think I may go insane. (My mother is wonderful, just not goofy.)

I was watching CSI last night and while Captain Brass was near death in the hospital, and his daughter came to see him, I thought of my dad and how much I am going to miss him when he dies. (Which had better not be for a long time, dad! Lay off the fritters! ;) )

Often I'll be out with Elizabeth and she'll suddenly say, "I miss dad." Sometimes a girl just needs her dad nearby.

My father owns a company and sometimes we would go on business trips with him around the country. Sometimes he would take just one of us; a special trip for the sibling "off track" at school, usually. My very first plane ride was one of these times. We flew to Seattle and rented a car and drove all around Washington and Oregon. I loved that trip!
I woke up early and my mom helped me put curlers in my hair. I wore my new bright pink sweat suit and white sneakers on the flight. Soon after getting our rental car my dad bought me my very first mug, a 32 ouncer. (Hahaha!)


Random quotes:


Dad: "This is good. Have you ever dipped your fortune cookie in Diet Coke?"
Me: "Thats nasty."
Aaron: "Thats nasty? Coming from the girl who just drank that stuff..."
Richard: "...Just drank sweet & sour sauce, chocolate ice cream, soy sauce, and lemon juice."
---
"If I could see him he'd be dead fly meat." -Dad
---
Dad, after cashier overcharged by 75 cents: "I think she was trying to give herself a 75 cent tip."
Susannah: "I think you are more of a cynic than me."
---
Susannah: "It's a shame our boyfriend, Aaron, is married."
Dad: "I'll tell you one thing; he ain't MY boyfriend!"
---
Dad: "Shrimp tails are like potato chips!"
---
Dad, after rolling up a dollarbill and putting it in his ear: "Now I'm a cash-ear. Get it? Cashier?"
Susannah: "Boys are so weird."
---
Susannah: "How did you remember that?"
Meridith: "The song keeps playing in my head."
Dad: "She has photographic eardrums."
---
Meridith: "Are we going to continue playing?"
Dad: "Did you say bling bling?"
---
"Well, now I've gotta go out in that cold, cruel world." - My dad, preparing to shovel the walkway
---
DAD: I pay in fizzeas
DAD: ...or should I say physeas?
SUS: Shouldn't it be spelled "fonetik"?
DAD: Oh cae, physeas awate.
---
"I just opened my fortune cookie and read my it to my dad; he said, "Well, that fortune sucks!" -Sus
---
My father is often my go-to for support when my mother is irrational.
Mom: "Your dad says I was being critical; I thought I was just being demanding."
Me: "HA! D) All of the above."
---
Mom: "You've got something here..." (pointing to the stain on Dad's shirt)
Dad (looking down at his shirt): "Oh! This is food! Shirts are hungry too."
...
Dad (yelling from his bedroom): "Sometimes a guy needs a little brown sugar!"
Mom (rolling her eyes): "He's just mad because I wouldn't put any brown sugar on his yogurt and strawberries."
---
Meridith says:
Dad kept singing "Everyone ought to have a maid"
Meridith says:
then he randomly said..."Do you like braids? Like what are in your hair? I do. I like them enough that I think everyone should have one... 'Everyone oughta have a braaaaid!!'"
Meridith says:
Then he asked if I liked orange juice...then asked if I wanted to go get a "Big Pulp"




I am just like my father in so many ways. Personality as well as looks. Except I am a lot less hairy and have a much more hourglass figure, haha.

2 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

yeah, that would be creepy if you were as hairy, and if he had the hourglass figure. ha ha ha. I think things turned out pretty good the way they did.

Deborah said...

My favorite post so far. Daddy is a very funny man.