Monday, May 22, 2006

“Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving, so I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'” -mitch hedberg

I don't think I'm a mean person. Really. I may be feisty and indifferent toward a few people, sure. Sometimes I can't even feign interest with some people. Ok, sometimes I'm impudent, but frankly I hate the "fake" girls and don't wish to be like them. To most people in my life I am not a mean person. So why do I get so much crap for not being overly nice to a few specific (really annoying) people?

My roommate is the daughter of my sisters friend. I don't enjoy this friend's personality (so much so that I was happy when I lost my hearing a few months back, because she temporarily stopped trying to talk to me at the gym) and her daughter seems to be exactly like her.

I notice she is looking into the cupboard she wants me to clear out for her.
Susannah: "I'm planning on clearing that tomorrow night, when I finally have some time."
Rommate: "If you don't I'll move your stuff myself."
Susannah: "Uh, you had better not."
Honeyman: "Whoa, not something you want to say to Susannah!"
Roommate: "I asked her to do it THREE WEEKS AGO!"
less than two, actually.
Susannah: "And how many awake hours have I been home?"
correct answer: less than 2 a day, on average.
Roommate: "You were here last night when I got home. On your computer."
(said com-poo-ter, which makes me want to smack the dumb look off her face in the first place.)
Susannah: "I got home at quarter to 2 in the morning! Then I did some work for a half hour. I am worried about other things at 2 in the morning."
---
Roommate: "Oh, don't worry...unlike all Utahns, I am not judgemental."
you have got to be kidding me. what kind of pot calling the kettle black statement is THAT?
Susannah: "What the...?! What, the 5 you know?"
Roommate: "Excuse me, my cousins live there and there are nine of them."
Susannah: "Oooo, nine! I'm done. I'm leaving."
I had to leave the house right then or I may have called her out on her stupidity; and that wouldn't have been pretty.
---
At 2 a.m., while trying to juggle four IMs and six various websites, with headphones on listening to music. The Roommate walks over to the couch and sits by me. I silently plead that her staring at me doesn't mean she will start talking...Alas...
Roommate: "Tell me about Ryan."
this is not a nice, friendly beginning to a conversation. this is a demand."
Susannah: "Uh...why?"
Roommate: "He seems like a nice guy."
i am silent. apparently she doesn't like this.
Roommate: "So...?"
Susannah: "...What do you want to know?"
Roommate: "Is he single?"
Susannah: "Yes."
Roommate: "He seems to care for you a lot."
Susannah: "...k...?"
Roommate: "So whats wrong with him then?"
oh my
Susannah: "No."
Roommate: "Why don't you two..."
Susannah: "No, I'm not going there."
Roommate: "Fine!"
---
UGH! Leave me alone!!! I am not looking for a nosy annoying friend. (I have enough of those from high school, thanks)


I have, however, been extremely nice to Dorkhead at the office. So much so that he is still thanking me for my help, days later. I am learning to block out his voice, which helps. I still think he's an idiot, and messing up the settings on a program after I gave him explicit directions to just read the manual and not try to do anything did nothing to change that.

Susannah: "I don't have extras, so you can use my manual, here it is."
Dorkhead: "How long can I keep this?"
Susannah: "However long it takes you to feel comfortable using the program."
Dorkhead: "Wow, thanks."
Susannah: "I don't have it all memorized, but if you have questions I'll try to help you find the answer."
Dorkhead: "Ok, great."
Susannah: "Here is the thing though [Dorkhead], because it is not installed on your computer you can use this one [behind me] if you need to input your clients information. But please please do not follow any of the setups in the manual. You do not have an account yet, so I need you to not change anything on this one. You should just read the manual right now. Ok?"
Dorkhead: "Yeah, ok, sounds good."
...
Dorkhead: "Hey, Susannah, where do I find the [some random command]?"
Susannah: "I'm not sure, why do you need it? What are you trying to do?"
Dorkhead: "I'm following this second setup thingy in here..."
points to manual then points to screen. are you kidding me?
Susannah: "[Dorkhead], I really need you to not change the settings on this account, because I do not have an account in your name yet, Ok?"
Dorkhead: "Oh, ok. I was just following the book."
i was even nice and he is still an idiot. i can't waste my time helping idiots, i really can't...I have things to do
Susannah: "I know. How about you just read the manual first? Before trying to do anything."
hmmm, sounds familiar. oh yeah! 'cause I already told you not to touch it. are we pretending that I'm the one eleven years older? or is that still you? hmmmm.

2 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

can I be a nosy annoying friend?

Susannah said...

My cult-like following is now accepting applications.