Tuesday, July 31, 2007

"The bad guys can smell fear." 2-year-old Luke

I walked into the salon quite chipper, with a can of Diet Pepsi in hand. I glanced at my name in the appointment book: one client for the night, easy schmeasy. I looked more carefully and realized I had a mans haircut. Eek. I have only done The Honeyman and Jayar's hair before. Aaaaaah. Mens haircuts are not my strong suit.
So I had a mini freak out and then I asked around the salon for some tips. Assured I now knew all I needed, I headed to my station (the very back of the salon, haha, so antisocial) and set out my clippers and all my attachments. I had time to kill until his appointment (7:15), so I read through two Harper's Bazaar, two Allure, and one Food & Wine. At 6:05 I painted my nails a gorgeous dark red. At 6:45 I walked down the hall to grab another Diet Pepsi when a fellow stylist informed me that my client was there. Already?! So I quickly walked back into the reception area to greet him.

Dang it.

6'2"+, 200+ lbs, rawr, single, and not wanting a clipper cut. EEK! (I had to run around again asking advice for an all-over shear cut. I knew what to do, sheesh, but I just didn't realize it.)

I already knew that I wouldn't be able to talk, but was slightly alarmed to find that I couldn't shampoo either. I am well aware that a large chunk of my tip comes from head massages, so I try to take that into account at the shampoo bowl. Poor guy, that was the fastest shampoo I have ever done.

My hands were noticeably shaking as I began cutting. Hand, scissor, comb--wait, which goes where?! My brain was barely cooperating with my hands, which resulted in some clumsy comb handling. He looked up and said, "You seem really comfortable with those scissors." and went on to ask me how long I'd been doing hair and how long I'd been interested in it, etc. Sweet, fake it 'til you make it.

It only took me about one hour from start to finish. It turned out really well, I was a bit surprised, haha. He tipped me just over 30%


After he left I asked another stylist to cut my hair. SHORTER, EEK! I wanted more shape to my hair, so I asked her to give me some chunky layers. She obliged, and now my pink hair is quite visible, hahaha.

No comments: